Legal issues involving child custody and parenting time can be complicated and emotionally charged. It’s important to have an experienced child custody lawyer on your side you can trust to handle your case with the utmost skill and compassion. Alexis Bishop Stern is passionate about protecting and improving the lives of children and their families through experienced legal representation.
Oregon family court judges are bound to implement a custody arrangement that is in the best interest of the child. Oregon Revised Statutes (107.137) explains the factors that a judge must consider when evaluating the best interests of a child, including:
- Emotional ties between the child and other family members
- The parties’ interest and attitude toward the child
- The desirability and benefit of a continuing a relationship with each party
- The preference for the primary caregiver – if deemed fit by the court
- Whether either party engaged in any abuse of the other parent or the child
- The willingness of each parent to encourage a close and continuing relationship between the child and the other parent
Determining what is in a child’s best interest can be exceedingly difficult and complicated, especially when it comes to considering a child’s relationship with their parents now and into the future.
Alexis Bishop Stern has a deep knowledge of how the courts determine child custody matters and advocates for clients’ interests through every step of the process. A persuasive negotiator, she can work with you and your co-parent to negotiate a fair agreement if possible. When necessary, she will vigorously defend your rights and protect your family in court.
Alexis Bishop Stern also has years of experience working with Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) – ensuring the safety of children through the court system. She understands that sometimes child custody matters involve issues that present immediate dangers to children. Her deep knowledge of the child welfare system and experiences with judges and courts in this context can help protect you and your family.